If this site has saved you money please feel free to donate a little of the saving

Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider

Photo

Sourcing A Condenser

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DK63

DK63

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 12:36 AM

I have a 2010 plate C5 saloon and according to the garage I took it to, the condenser apparantly has a hairline crack in it. They ordered a new one from 4 different car parts companies and none of them fit. Do I have to go main dealer route now, as I'm expecting that to be quite expensive?

#2 paul.h

paul.h

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:08 AM

There are 8 different condensers for the C5 (X7) so to get the right one you need to use your car VIN in the Citroen parts diagrams. If you have used your VIN when buying them you may have no choice but to get the right one from a dealer. Your chosen garage should be able to get the part from a dealer and maybe they would get a trade discount.

I had mine replaced at a Citroen dealer last year (2018) and including all the labour it was £669. I had no choice in going there since my car (2007 C5) still had some refrigerant in which legally had to be removed first and also it needed to be regassed after fitting the parts. The condenser and 3 seals were £360 with the other £369 for the labour and regassing.

#3 DK63

DK63

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:01 PM

I decided to get it from the local dealership. Condensor, plus seals, and locking wheel nuts (long story!) came to £288. Getting the parts fitted at a local garage as it will save me about £100 in labour costs. I've dealt with him before, he's not the cheapest but I trust him to do the job properly. Thanks for the reply.

#4 paul.h

paul.h

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:15 AM

That price does not seem too bad for the parts compared to what I paid. I always make a note of the wheel nut key number on the car handbook in case it gets lost then Citroen can order a new one. There is a lot of value in using a mechanic you can trust to do a good job and also not damage your car whilst at it, thinking here of things like the undertray when the fasteners seize.

#5 DK63

DK63

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 03:28 PM

That price does not seem too bad for the parts compared to what I paid. I always make a note of the wheel nut key number on the car handbook in case it gets lost then Citroen can order a new one. There is a lot of value in using a mechanic you can trust to do a good job and also not damage your car whilst at it, thinking here of things like the undertray when the fasteners seize.

Funnily enough, the dealership also mentioned writing down the key number 'just in case' as well. Must be something in it! :) :)