If this site has saved you money please feel free to donate a little of the saving

Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider

Photo
- - - - -

Lds Leak Somewhere Between Ecu And Pump? C5 X7

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jaysams80

jaysams80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:07 AM

I have recently started getting a patch of oil under the front right of the car.
On inspection the LDS fluid is welling up around the body of the ECU and running down onto the pump body. There are 4 brass holes in either corner of the ECU, it's around this flange it gathers. There are no obvious signs of leaking around here. It's very slow, and seems to come and go at random. If I park up on the kerb drivers side it seems worse. Proper head scratcher this. I could strip it out but wondered if there was any area to zoom in on first, it's a messy job as we all know.

Edited by jaysams80, 22 July 2019 - 11:07 AM.

#2 jaysams80

jaysams80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:08 AM

p.s. how is the ECU fixed to the pump body?

#3 paul.h

paul.h

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:00 PM

There is a video here that shows how to take the pump apart. https://www.youtube....h?v=U4Aam5ymyf4 The ecu does not seem to be available separate to the pump so may not be as easy to remove as on the earlier C5 models and the video shows a gasket between the ecu and pump. By the time the video gets to 9 minutes it shows the 4 bits that stick up in to the ecu being removed and they have O rings on them so it could be one of these is leaking. So as a guess, it could be a case of removing the ecu and these 4 valves (if they are valves) and replacing the seals on them. I do not know where you would get the seals from though.

#4 jaysams80

jaysams80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:06 PM

I've just took another look. The seam of the ECU seems to be filling with LDS.
I can't the the tank off at the moment to see if that's leaking onto it or not.
If a seal around one of the valves is leaking do you think this would flood the ECU, hence the leak?

#5 paul.h

paul.h

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:56 PM

Probably more likely to be the tank leaking, especially if it has been jacked up and the wheels left hanging without first slackening the LDS tank cap. From the video, if the valves seals were leaking then that looks as if it would go up to the ecu. To check the tank you could wrap some tissue/toilet paper around its bottom above the ecu and see if it gets oil on.

#6 jaysams80

jaysams80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:42 PM

Cheers Paul. The toilet roll trick is exactly what I've done. I'm going to check it in the morning. It's far too bloody hot out there at the moment.
I've been to Citroen about the seals, but they can only sell me the full pump and ECU.....ha, like that's going to happen.
Currently looking for a part number or an alternative seal.

#7 jaysams80

jaysams80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 04:37 PM

Development. I took note that the oil leaked worse in the very hot weather.
Using an angled mirror I noticed clean oil on the underside of the reservoir tank.
I have now left the car on a sweltering day for 4 hours, but with the car on low and the tank depressurised. There is minimal amount of oil compared to what there had been with the tank under pressure in the heat. It would seem the expansion due to hot weather makes the leak very bad. When the weather cools I will remove the tank and repair it with a two pack paste I have used previously. Thankfully it looks like the ECU and solenoids aren't the problem.
I will update when I know more.

#8 jaysams80

jaysams80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:54 AM

Finally found the crack. It was literally a hair line split about 8mm long right on the underside, sitting over the ECU.
It's not been coated with Belzona elastomer. Now to put it all back together.
I'd upload a picture but aren't sure how to.

Edited by jaysams80, 27 July 2019 - 09:54 AM.

#9 paul.h

paul.h

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:58 PM

To add a file/photo start by clicking on More Reply Options.

Good job it was not the pump leaking since that could have been expensive. If you need a new tank it might only be £40 to £50 from Citroen according to this topic. The part number is either 4009V8 or 4009S4  https://frenchcarfor...=56747&start=30

#10 jaysams80

jaysams80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:07 AM

I've been using the mobile version, which has no option for uploading pics. Sorted now.

Attached Files

Edited by jaysams80, 31 July 2019 - 07:11 AM.

#11 jaysams80

jaysams80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:08 AM

The first picture shows a very faint line, the crack.
The second picture shows the repair patch using Belzona.
It's holding well, no leaks. And as an added bonus the car no longer sags when you turn it off.

Edited by jaysams80, 31 July 2019 - 07:10 AM.

#12 paul.h

paul.h

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:31 AM

It is a long time since I heard of Belzona. I used to work in a chemical company that used it to repair glass lined vessels. Is it readily available in shops ?

#13 jaysams80

jaysams80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:38 PM

It's not available in the shops as far as I'm aware no Paul. I have a friend who managed to get me a few types a while back. Shelf life is years as it's two pack. Fantastic stuff.

Ford Galaxy Owner Club