If this site has saved you money please feel free to donate a little of the saving

Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider

Photo

C5 X7 Vtr+ Very Harsh Suspension

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nemdis

nemdis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 June 2019 - 10:15 PM

New to me C5 X7 2008 2.0 HDI VTR+ (Metal suspension). Chinese tyres of illegible brand.

After 30+ years on hydraulic suspension I thought I might manage with this metal spring version but it's way too hard and harsh, a real spine jangler!
Maybe this is normal but if it's not I'd welcome any advice on softening it up. Otherwise it will have to go.

I do notice that because mine has a glass roof the front springs are stiffer than for the non-glass roof models. With the help of a friend I confirmed this. He has a non-glass model, otherwise identical to mine. When he (65kg) stands on the driver door cill, the front wheel arch drops 2.5cm. When I (100kg) do the same, the drop is 1cm. Obviously this is a big difference, greater I think, than could be accounted for by a slight difference in spring spec.

Can anything be done?

Thanks,
Mike

#2 paul.h

paul.h

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,881 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:35 AM

Have you been in your friend's C5 to see how the ride compares ? Our 2007 C5 has a softer ride compared to our C4 with springs but nothing that makes you not want to use it and the other day I was in a VW Golf and the seats at first seemed like concrete being hard but after a while I got used to it.

What size, etc tyres are they, some of the X7 C5s have 18 or 19 inch wheels and the low profile can give a harder (and noisier) ride than the previous C5 with 16 inch wheels. You could be the first on this forum to mention the hard ride, others only mention the road noise. Johndouglas on here put spring assistors on the back of his X7 to stop the suspension dropping too much when towing a caravan.

Citroen springs usually have coloured paint on them to identify the part number, you could see if it is still there and check if they have been swapped for harder ones by a previous owner.

#3 nemdis

nemdis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

Wheels are the standard 17" 55 profile.

Your idea that the springs may have been changed is certainly plausible, though why the front I can't imagine unless one broke. (Back seems much softer than the front).

Hadn't thought of the colour code. I'll have a look.

I see the springs cost about £30 each i.e. affordable. Labour may be a different matter!

Thanks again,

Mike

#4 paul.h

paul.h

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,881 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:20 AM

If you do go for new springs, get Citroen ones since pattern ones may give a different ride. I once fit eurocar parts supplied pattern ones to a Saab and they were not right.

#5 nemdis

nemdis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:34 PM

FYI the springs look blue to me though green are listed. Could be my vision.

I've been quoted £160 labour to change the springs, less than expected, but I'd have to be damned sure of the outcome before I committed.

Take your point about OE.

Mike