If this site has saved you money please feel free to donate a little of the saving

Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider

Photo

Citroen C5 Steering Vibration

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelDavis

MichaelDavis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:56 AM

Hello I have recently had new quality front arms new Lemforder drop links new Mintex discs and pads and new Michelin all season tyres plus wheel balancing and tracking checked. Driving on the motorway I feel steering judder it's not a huge amount but I wouldn't expect any considering all the work that's been done oh and new tyres brakes etc on the rear too- is there anything else like a bush or something that wears that may need changing--car has done 122k and is highly maintained--if it looked like it needed doing it was done if you know what I mean. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 paul.h

paul.h

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:11 PM

Did you have the judder before all the new parts were fitted ?

Tracking on the C5 is different to other cars since the front and rear axles are not the same width so if the garage was not aware of this the tracking might now be out if it has been adjusted.

It might be the tyres need balancing a bit better. When the new discs were installed was the disc run out checked, should be less than about 0.05 mm (I think) - any more and you can get judder. When the rear brakes were done, the axle to caliper joint needs cleaning up to remove the corrosion and something like copper grease applied to help prevent it. You could also try turning the steering lock to lock 6 times to see if there is any air in the steering hydraulics.

There is a ball joint at the bottom of the front struts which can wear but if it did not judder before the new parts then these may not be the cause.

#3 MichaelDavis

MichaelDavis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:38 PM

Everything you say Paul makes sense and I even fitted new calipers on the rear - the old ones came off fine much to my mechanics relief and yes there was a lot of aluminium oxidation behind the old calipers which was completely removed, there was slight judder before yes and the only parts which havent been replaced for a few years are the balljoints-though car has just sailed through mot with no advisories(first time for years lol) not expensive or difficult to do- the garage that did tracking knew about front to rear axle difference and we're a bit annoyed of me pointing this out lol.

#4 paul.h

paul.h

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:11 AM

Something else that might possibly cause vibration is wear in the driveshaft bearing at the driver's side of the gearbox, however, I am not sure about this.

Was there unusual wear on any of the tyres before they were replaced ? If you lightly touch the brakes on the motorway is there any change to the judder ?

#5 paul.h

paul.h

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:23 PM

This topic is worth a read, shaking when mainly accelerating turned out to be the ride height was not correct. http://www.citroen-o...5-x7-exclusive/

#6 MichaelDavis

MichaelDavis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:35 PM

The ride height is fine Paul I've regularly lubricated the sensor arm linkage. I will be getting bottom ball joints checked this week as these have been a regular failure on previous mots strangely.