If this site has saved you money please feel free to donate a little of the saving

Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider

Photo

New Clutch Fitted - Now Judders

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gazza71

Gazza71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 02:38 PM

Hi i have a 2012 c4 1.6 hdi 90 bhp i had a new clutch kit fitted yesterday luk now i have a very annoying judder all parts were cleaned before being fitted and all lined up correctly its mostly in 1st and reverse did not do flywheel as solid from factory any thoughts would be great to try and resolve thanks

#2 paul.h

paul.h

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,812 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:23 PM

If the clutch was installed by a garage you should take it back.

An internet search comes up with topics on judder from a new clutch. As an example which turned out to be a faulty new flywheel https://www.bimmerfo...g-issue-t98338/

Whilst not normal, it might bed in after a few miles. Causes of judder I have experienced include

- wear on the flywheel face so it was not smooth and had wear ridges, Sanding these out cured it but it then wore quickly needing doing again and really needed a new flywheel.

- worn spigot bearing/bush in the middle of the flywheel

- worn clutch plate

- oil on the clutch face

You could also bleed the clutch since if there is air in the hydraulics it would not help smooth pedal operation. A smear of grease should have been applied to the splines on the input shaft to allow smooth movement of the clutch plate.

#3 Gazza71

Gazza71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:54 PM

Don't know if the clutch was bled i can rule out the flywheel as it is a solid flywheel fitted in this car as standard i took it back and he said an engine mounting has split having it changed weekend if it isn't that think will have to strip it down again as bad vibration and judder not what you want from a new clutch done around 80 miles still juddering but i have read do 500 don't know if this is accurate

#4 paul.h

paul.h

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,812 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:02 AM

Could be an engine mounting, the one low down at the back can cause judder. If it did not judder before the clutch was replaced then the mounting might have split when replacing it. As a quick check with the bonnet lifted, get somebody to rev the engine up and down and see if the engine rotates a bit - it should not. You would need to look under the car to check how bad it is.