If this site has saved you money please feel free to donate a little of the saving

Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider

Photo

2004 Relay With A Starting Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tetsu0san

Tetsu0san

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:48 AM

Hi all

I've got a 2004 2.2HDi with a pain in the backside starting problem. And today it got worse. It was starting to struggle to start and cranking and cranking would eventually get it to fire, so I could kinda lived with it. I bought a crank sensor to fit but never got around to fitting it.

Anyway, it doesn't get driven a lot at all but today after a couple of months of it being sat I thought I'd give it a go and replace the crank sensor to see if that would fix the problem. Sure enough it wouldn't fire and the battery was getting flat so I put some jump leads on the battery and tried to start it again. This time the starter just wouldn't fire up at all. So I removed the jump leads, checked the fuses on the top of the battery, checked all the other fuses (on the engine bay, and the two either end of the dash), replaced a few relays and still nothing.

So I'm stuck now.

Does anyone know what fuses/relays to replace, or indeed anything else to look at? I'll bridge the starter and solenoid later to see if it's just that, but I can't see that anything I've just done has caused it to just simply stop spinning.

Cheers.

#2 paul.h

paul.h

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,812 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 02:12 PM

Could be a problem with the starter solenoid or motor brushes worn out so it will not turn over. See what happens when you bridge the solenoid and you could also check for 12 volts at the starter when the key is turned. If an immobilser problem I think these still let the engine turn over but stop the fuel.

Ford Galaxy Owner Club