If this site has saved you money please feel free to donate a little of the saving

Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider

Photo

C5 Clutch Master Cylinder Failed.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 buskerboy20

buskerboy20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:15 PM

My clutch pedal failed to the floor,checked you tube, found repair with replacement part number 218274 found replacement on eBay cost 26.90,checked with Citroen who gave me a different number of 2182J2 at a cost of 152.88*but this shows what looks like the 218274 with the reservoir pipe attached. Does any one know if this is the case of Citroen making more money from using the same parts coupled together in order charge astronomical price,and would the 218274 fit mine.
2011 C5 estate 1.6 satnav
Thank you.
Buskerboy20

#2 paul.h

paul.h

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:38 PM

The clutch master and slave cylinders have different part numbers with the change occurring at RPO 12165 which equates to a build date of 28/2/2010. So your car will be later than this RPO. From my parts diagrams your master cylinder is 2182J7 which includes the pipe from the reservoir and the slave cylinder is part 2182J4. My parts diagrams are a few years old so you need to check these using your VIN. You can see the Citroen parts diagrams as a free service if you register on service.citroen as an other professional non emergency services and as a member of the Citroen Owners Club, this is allowed as a member of a car club. http://service.citro...angerParametres - you might need to select your language first.

Prior to RPO 12165 the master cylinder is 2182A6 and the slave 2182A7. A search using 2182J2 comes back with a slave cylinder and 218274 comes back with a master cylinder for a 2004 to 2008 1.6 hdi C5 so it looks as if the numbers you give above are not right.

Are you sure the master cylinder has failed since it is more common for a slave cylinder to wear out ? Both can be checked by looking for brake fluid leaking out of the seal where the actuating rod goes in. If you have to replace either it is easier to bleed them by sucking the fluid through from the slave cylinder bleed screw using a hand vacuum pump or maybe a syringe would do the same. When bleeding make sure the reservoir fluid level is kept up since the clutch take off is quite high and if air is sucked back in the bleeding has to start again.

#3 buskerboy20

buskerboy20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:45 AM

Hi there Paul, thank you very much for your valuable reply, I have replaced the slave cylinder but i am struggling to bleed it , I have ordered a vacuum hand pump which should arrive Fri/Sat then I will try to eliminate the slave cylinder, If it turns out to be the master cylinder how do you disconnect the flexible from the reservoir as I can not see any way of releasing the connector. 

PS your info for the access to the parts schedule is brilliant.

John. 

#4 paul.h

paul.h

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 02:01 PM

I have not seen the connector, maybe you could attach a picture of it. If it is similar to ones on the fuel pipes and coolant pipes these have a coloured clip that is pushed to release the pipe. Otherwise the pipe might just pull off but I am not sure. If you do have to buy another master cylinder then the dealer will tell you how it is removed, best to go when the service people are there so they can ask a technician.

To replace the master cylinder is a long job due to all the bits needed to be removed so you can get to it, book time is about 3½ hours so if you had to pay it could be around £500 including the parts.

The slave cylinders have various designs, some are bled by turning the bleed screw a quarter turn, others a half turn or more so the fluid will flow and some have the pipe held by 2 clips where one is pulled out and the other pushed in so the pipe can be pulled back a bit and then the fluid will run out - our last C3 was like this.