If this site has saved you money please feel free to donate a little of the saving

Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider

Photo

Tyre Pressure Loss Due To Corroded Alloy Rims

tyre air leak alloy wheel

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aspire_helen

aspire_helen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 06:09 PM

Hi

Just a note. After 17 years, one of my alloy wheels began leaking air quite badly (approx. 15psi in a week). Using a soapy solution I discovered 12 separate leaks on both rims. I had my local Selecta-tyre dealer remove the tyre (for free) and I spent xmas refurbishing the rims - a time-consuming but rewarding task. I took the opportunity to replace the rubber seal on the valve stem.    Selecta-tyre re-fitted/balanced the tyre for a total of £10.

Helen

#2 paul.h

paul.h

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 08:14 PM

What did you do to refurbish them ?

#3 aspire_helen

aspire_helen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:00 PM

Hi Paul. 

I focussed on the surfaces on the inside of each rim, where the tyre seals against the rim. I didn't need to touch the bulk of the wheel.  I ground away all individual areas of alloy corrosion and blended smooth the profile, using a 12v craft drill with a fine sanding wheel, hand finishing with 120grade.  Rubbed down adjoining good paint areas with 400grade. I treated the bare alloy with a chromate passivator (surface conversion), but only because I already had some through my aviation experience. Then 2 coats each of etch primer, wheel silver and solvent-resistant lacquer, all from Halfords. Then leave it somewhere warm and dry for a week to harden before refitting tyre.

Its worth noting that none of the leaks arose where there was the odd visible kerb scratching. ie each corrosion had crept invisibly under the tyre sealing face and penetrated into the pressurised space inside. The same can happen with the rubber ring seal around the valve stem, which can only be replaced from the inside the rim.

Helen