If this site has saved you money please feel free to donate a little of the saving

Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider

Photo

C5 Brake Pipes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 UVG

UVG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:18 PM

Hi Guys

just a quick question...
i'm running a C5 Estate ('05) i'm trying to confirm the Brake pipe diameter, ends and flare for the pipes that run from front to back
i got an advisory on them at the last MOT and i would like to get them sorted before the next one
the Citroen parts directory on line give most of the pipe diameters and lengths but not theses two
i have had to replace the suspension pipe from front to back it was an absolute pig of a job...but most of it was ok it was only rusted in a couple of placed near the rear subframe
i'm hoping the brake pipes will be the same. i'm planning to cut them under the cabin put a new flare on them and then splice in a new length back to the back
i think the pipe diameter is 3/16" (or 4.7mm) i'm pretty sure the flare is the bubble type but i dont know what the threat type is on the ends
can anyone confirm the details?
i dont want to spend money on the wrong size flare tool or the wrong size pipe
thanks for any info
Cheers
UVG

#2 paul.h

paul.h

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:43 AM

Off hand I do not know the pipe diameter without measuring it but when I have made up brake pipes I have used the old fittings again if still in good condition.

#3 UVG

UVG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 04:35 PM

nice idea...but i'm expecting to have get them out with a pair of mole grips after i have rounded them off  :wacko:

also when my car is off the road i'm stranded so i would rather have all the bits on site so i can make new ones

but thanks for the thought  :D

#4 paul.h

paul.h

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:40 PM

If you do not have a brake pipe spanner with the cut out, ( http://www.halfords....AiABEgKcyPD_BwE ) then you can cut the pipe just above the fitting and use a 6 point socket so no need to use mole grips. You could try a few days before though to see if the fitting will easily loosen with the pipe spanner or a good fitting open ended spanner. A large adjustable spanner may be better than a smaller one since it will have a larger contact area on the fitting. If you then find it will not loosen, then go for the new part. A few days before doing the job I would also apply wd40 to the pipe where it goes through the fitting to stop the pipe twisting as the fitting is undone.

#5 UVG

UVG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:11 PM

all good advice but for what they cost if i can confirm their size i would rather have some ends in the tool box

to be honest i dont have a brake spanner i have always managed with the little mole grips mainly because once they are out i replace them  :D and then cover them in copper slip

but i suspect these ones have been in since it was built so would rather renew if i can

#6 paul.h

paul.h

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:01 PM

As a last resort, I find stillsons are better than mole grips and do less damage. Steve at coastline taxis is our C5 expert on here but has not been on for a few weeks. You could try a message to him but I am not sure if the email alerts are working. You could always try a phone call to coastline taxis in South Shields and ask for the workshop and I am sure he would be happy to help. There are a couple of phone numbers 0191 455 2222 and 0191 455 1133 on the internet.