2010 Relay Handbrake Very Poor After New Shoes And Cables

Lodgey47

I've recently replaced the rear disks, pads, handbrake shoes and cables in my 2010 Relay van but ever since then I've been unable to get the handbrake to work anyone got any ideas?? I'Ve set them up as explained in a post on here from earlier this year but still no joy, is it possible to get the shoes the wrong way round or might I have done something else wrong? I'm about to head into Switzerland in the next couple of days so any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

This is the other topic http://www.citroen-owners-club.co.uk/citroen/topic/24626-very-poor-handbrake-please-help/

Many years ago I had a Vauxhall Viva which had a poor handbrake and that was due to a wear lip on the brake drum which was preventing the shoes making a full contact with the drum. Once it was filed off the brakes were ok.

Thanks for the replies guys. The disks and pads were also renewed at the same time as the shoes and rear brake cables, I lightly cleaned up the shoes with emery tape then a load of brake cleaner and compressed air to clean and dry everything off before final reassembly. The link you mention Paul Is the one I saw and used to set up the brakes but for some reason they still seem crap. I've now done around 1000 miles with them so would have thought by now they would have bedded in ???

Did the brake cleaner get all the grease off the discs so none was left to contaminate the shoes ?

Maybe you could adjust the shoes through the hole in the disc again so they bite and then back off 1 or 2 notches rather than 5 as in the procedure.

Yes everything was nice and clean before reassembly I've been adjusting the shoes and cables whilst driving over the last 1000 miles so I know they are now fine and as good as they can be, I'm beginning to wonder if I've put the shoes together wrong somehow but despite trawling the Internet I can't find an exploded diagram to confirm, any suggestions?

I know it is too late now but I take a picture of the rear shoes before removing them the first time and have found it useful. You could look at the parts diagrams which might help. Register on service.citroen as an other professional non emergency services and as a Member of the Citroen Owners Club http://service.citroen.com/do/changerParametres you might need to select your language first and then once on the site use your VIN (VIS) top left to find your vehicle.