Intermittent Starting Problems

I have recently brought a 1998 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD with an intermittent starting problem. Occasionally the engine will turn over healthily but it will not start. If I leave it and come back later it will start again. The vehicle is fitted with a new battery. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Welcome to the forum.

Is the servicing up to date including fuel filter replacement ? When it does not start, is this with a cold or warm engine ? Have you tried the spare key in case it is an immobilser problem ? You have not mentioned any warning messages or engine mangement light so does this mean there are none ?

There are no warning lights on and I always wait for the glow plug light to go out. It is usually not starting on a cold engine. I have two Keys that look exactly the same. There is no remote switch on either key. The bloke I brought the van off told me that he self-serviced the van himself, and I have no reason to doubt him. I have not checked the fuel filter yet.

Possible causes of poor starting can include the glow plugs needing replacing, poor compression due to wear, wrong fuel mixture from the coolant temperature sensor giving the wrong value, air flow meter fault, the timing being out, an air leak, and others. A diagnostic check using Citroen equipment may help find the cause.