Lights Problem

Rusty Sprocket

Greetings all.

I'm hoping someone has come across this issue before.

I have a 2009 C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDI.  If I have lights switched on then turn off the ignition (Leaving the switch at the on position) after parking up I have no problems  as the headlights etc turn off when the ignition is switched off.

However If I drive with the lights off, then turn off the ignition after parking up the side lights come on and will stay on indefinitely (to the point they flatten the battery)

I am not leaving the indicator switch on as I know this can turn on side lights.

Can anyone provide any pointers as to why this is happening.

Many thanks in advance  

This is only a guess but there could be a problem with the switch unit under the steering wheel and you might need to use a dealer to check it. However, odd electrical problems can sometimes be cured by a battery disconnection/reconnection or a bsi reset so it would be worth trying this.

This is from the C4 Common Problems topic:

11. Odd electrical problems caused by wrong battery disconnection procedure.

If you need to disconnect the battery and not do a BSI reset procedure, I have found the following has not given me any problems on a 2004 and 2007 C5 and a 2003 C3:

- remove the ignition key from the car

- open the bonnet

- wait a few minutes for the BSI to shut down

- disconnect the battery negative terminal

When reconnecting

- ignition key out of the car

- reconnect the battery

- wait a few minutes

- insert the key in the ignition and wait a minute

- turn the key to the first position and wait a minute

- turn the key so the dash lights come on and wait a minute

- start the engine

- take the windows down and up to reset the anti pinch

- reset the clock (and radio on the C3).

In the handbook for the 2015 C4 it says to wait at least 2 minutes after switching off the ignition before disconnecting the battery and when reconnecting, to wait at least a minute after switching on the ignition before starting the engine.

-------------------------------------------------------------

This topic from the C5 Technical section has a version of a bsi reset and you can find other versions if you look on the internet:

http://www.citroen-owners-club.co.uk/citroen/topic/15093-bsi-reset/

---------------------------------------------------------------

This topic is from the C3 Common Problems topic and has a method to reset the Comms 2000 unit which is the steering column switch unit.

27. Comms 2000 unit reset method to fix wipers/washers not working.

This topic by vectratot includes a method to reset the comms 2000 unit after the wipers and washers stopped working http://www.citroen-o...ing/#entry82270