C3 Keyfob Fails To Unlock Doors, Will Still Lock

garycook67

2005 C3 Pluriel diesel

Having read previous threads my problem is slightly different and I still can't find the answer.

The keyfob fails to unlock the car doors.

The boot (tailgate) opens. The passenger door opens with the key. Both can be locked with the keyfob.

The central locking button, inside locks but doesn't unlock.

Being two door I don't have child locks (as far as I know).

Have tried a new fob battery, resetting the fob in the ignition a couple of times after disconnecting the car battery.

Have tried pulling out/in the wire connector on the fuse board (large grey one with 16 sockets)

Have tried pulsing 12v+ down the brown wire (no 15 in the grey connector)

Have tried replacing the central locking fuse.

Have tried Jimmying the drivers door (the only door with a key hole is the passenger side) - no luck

Have tried taking the door panel off the locked drivers door - can only do this partially - the wires in the door are white, red and 2 purple - but we havent done anything with those - yet.

Any help appreciated - I've been on this 2 days

Have you tried a soft reset of the BSI.  ?

By the way, wlecome to the forum

BSI Reset procedure........

To perform the reset;

1. Put the drivers window down and lift the bonnet (leave the key in the ignition)
  2. Ensure all equipment (stereo etc) is switched off
  3. Ensure all doors are closed and reach through the window to remove the key from the ignition
  4. Wait 3 minutes
  5. Disconnect the battery and then wait 15 seconds
  6. Reconnect the battery and wait 10 seconds (Do not open any doors)
  7. Switch on the ignition (but don't start the engine) and check that all tests pass
  8. Hold the lock button on the key down for 10 seconds
  9. Remove the key, open the drivers door, close it and check the central locking works (I had to hold the lock button down for another 10 seconds at this point)
  10. Start the engine and complete the systems check

Note: When you put the drivers window up, it won't automatically go all the way up. Make sure you close it all the way before putting it down, otherwise the automatic close won't close it all the way until you next turn the ignition on and off

C3 Key reset procedure.........

To reprogram the key fobs to the Citroen C3 BSI (or ECU) follow this procedure:

Gather all the keys to the car and remove any loops or rings from the keys.
Sit in the drivers seat with all the keys and all the doors shut, radio off, no lights, everything OFF
Insert a key into the ignition
Turn ON the ignition
Press and hold the LOCK button on the key for TEN seconds
Turn off the ignition and remove the key
Insert the next key and repeat the procedure
WAIT 1 minute, do NOT switch anything on.

When the 1 minute is up, open the drivers door, exit the vehicle, close the door

Test the keys each lock and unlock the doors.

If the keyfob battery is flat you need this CR2016 battery (click here) they last for years on the shelf (or in the drawer).

Edited by Rookie2

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I have tried both these, Although I notice some differences in the instructions I was following.

Resetting BSI - the timings were different - (Longer) and tried once disconnecting the positive car battery and second time disconnecting the negative.

The Fob - I only did one of the two fobs I have. and I didnt remove the keyring - do you think this will make a difference.?

The difference with my problem and others I've read are that I only have problems with unlocking.

Therefore the key must be talking to the car to be able to lock it.

Hmmm, I do know that once the BSI gets out of sync. it can cause all sorts of strange things to happen. Do you know anyone close by with Lexia ?

Edited by Rookie2

Oh OK, my fault, I assume too much. Lexia is the programme that reads and writes to Citroen vehicles. There are lots of china copies aroun, in fact there is a list on this site of p[eople who have them and where they live. Worth a look as someone near you may be registered,

Or perhaps put a request on a seperate post and see if you can find someone.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

If you lock the doors, do they unlock using the interior door handles since you have siad the dash button or the remote do not unlock them ?

It could be a problem with the central locking ecu, to check this will need to use the Citroen diagnostic tool, called the Lexia as mentioned above. On one of the C5 sections there is a pinned topic of members willing to help with diagnostics so worth a look to see if anyone is near you. Otherwise it may need a trip to a dealer.