Coil Spring

mazmak

Hi all. I'm going mad trying to sort out a problem with fitting a new coil spring.

Ok, I have a C3 cachet 2008 1.4. The front o/s spring snapped. I ordered a new pair online but when my mechanic fitted them he said they seemed to be 'bowing out', and they subsequently rubbed against the inside body.

Checked all the car details again, number plate etc, and bought a single one from a nearby dealer, a KYB RH2608.

Again once fitted, it bowed out and caught the body. Comparing them to the n/s spring, all 3 are about 2 inches taller.

It makes me wonder if the previous owner had the struts replaced (for whatever reason!), but is that even possible? Could you swap struts for one's slightly shorter?

Any ideas?

Thanks Griff. Believe it or not, the previous owner was actually the proverbial little old lady (who died :unsure: ). It's only done just over 30k! I think what I might have to do is get a new pair of struts - a local breakers yard has fortunately got a couple, and just swap the whole lot over. That'll save any problems should a spring break again.

I can't believe it's caused so many problems - it seems like it needs springs from a 1.1. My poor mechanic has spent about 6 hours on it so far!

Welcome to the forum.

Which engine does the car have, petrol, diesel, bhp and what wheel size does it have, does it have air con or a sunroof since they all use different springs - coil thickness, strength and number of coils. What colours do the existing springs have marked on them ?

Your car may be a bit old now but Citroen will replace coil springs that break without charge. We had front ones on a 2003 C3 and rear ones on a 2010 C3 replaced by the  Citroen dealer without needing to pay.

Did you buy the single one from the Citroen dealer using the car VIN to get the right one ? Also Citroen springs are colour coded and you need to replace them with ones with the same colour markings on them. The part number you quote I do not recognise, all the springs on the Citroen parts diagrams are 5002 and then 2 letters, unless they have recently been changed. As an example 5002 LT with colour code white white yellow  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5002LT-FRONT-SUSPENSION-SPRING-Citroen-C3-Genuine-Citroen-Part/302226314840?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41396%26meid%3Dd781044f86af445699c27cbc292e06cc%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D292002544294

I do not understand how the springs are bending over when being fitted, maybe the mechanic is not doing it properly or the top/bottom supports are not in the correct place or are not in good condition/being fitted properly, or they are the wrong parts.

When people lower cars I think they use springs that are shorter rather than longer, I just suspect the parts you are trying to fit are the wrong ones. Possibly if using the number plate to get them is not the best way and the VIN should be used along with the colour code.

Ok, where do I start? :)

It's a 1.4, 8 valve, petrol, no sunroof. The first 2 springs I got online, said they fitted the model, but didn't. The third one I went to a local parts dealer (not Citroen, just a general parts supplier) and got a spring made by KYB, again was meant for my model but didn't fit. I don't know what colours are on the springs as my mechanic has been dealing with it all so I'll try to get hold of him. He knows how to put springs on!

When the springs are on, they bend a bit like a banana, certainly enough to catch the body. The spring on the n/s when taken off the leg is smaller than the 3 springs already tried by about 2 inches. It's like this shown on another forum, https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-questions/springs-are-they-different-between-petrol-diesels-t1538.html

The o/s strut mount and bearings have been replaced. The n/s spring fits on either side with no problems, the new springs won't fit on any side.

Now, what's this about free spring changes?

I think you would be better getting the springs from a Citroen dealer, obviously the copy parts are not right, even though they are a lot cheaper. You can see the Citroen parts diagrams as a free service if you register on the service.citroen site as an other professional non emergency services and as a member of the Citroen Owners Club. Once on the site use your car VIN (VIS) top left to find your car and then look under mechanical, suspension front springs to find the parts. I suspect though there will be a few options for the springs but then use the colours on your existing springs to get the right ones. http://service.citroen.com/do/changerParametres you may need to select your language first.

If you try used struts/springs from another car and they are not the same colour then you may find the car handles a bit differently. Using the parts diagrams though you could check if the struts, etc are the same from the donor car.

I once tried copy springs for a Saab, possibly from eurocarparts and the car was not right after that, so I have learnt from my own experience.

Citroen seem to have a policy of replacing springs that break sooner than you would expect and we asked at our local dealer when they broke on our cars. The dealer then contacted Citroen and got approval to replace them at no cost to us. Your car may be too old but the mileage is not too high at about 30k but it could be worth asking. You would need to take the car to the dealer though for the work doing so it would mean fitting the old bits back and then it may be difficult since it would be obvious work had already been done on the car..