Intermittent Cutting Out And No Accelerator Response Problems

Rupert B

Hi 

Citoen Xsara hatchback  1.8L diesel

2 Intermittent faults

1. Engine cutting out at idle speed (e.g. when I coast up to junctions).

2. From standing start (normal tickover revs), foot on accelerator has absolutely no effect

With the cutting out problem the car always started up straightaway.

With the accelerator problem, after 30 seconds of so it would respond again.

I believe I have fixed both ,  neither fault has happened for a few weeks and they were happening every few days.

Of the things I have tried I think the fix was to drain (water?)  the fuel  filter (a thumbwheel screw at the bottom). I drained onto a tissue and didn’t particulary notice anything odd about what came out (the tissue smelt of diesel of course),  but I haven had either problem since doing this.

I have done two other things which may have had an effect, but after doing them I did still have the problem. They were

1.  I mended the broken wires in the wire loom from the drivers door pillar into the drivers door. As the citroen is “fly by wire†I wondered if signal noise from wires making and breaking could be swamping the system.

2.  I put some redex into the tank, that might relieve sticky injector problems (I know nothing about such things, I’ve just “heard†about it).

I am posting this as it may help someone else, or some one may add to what I have said. If the problems do recur I'll come back and say.

Rupert Bare