05 2.0L Hdi Relay No Power

AntoLevo

Was it a good quality sensor Johno ? there are loads of copies out there which simply do not work.  Assuming it is a quality one and it is working, then I would think that it is a turbo boost problem.

Can you get to the vacuum supply line to the turbo solenoid and pull it off to test nfor the end of the pipe sucking with the engine running ?

Can you see the actuator rod moving on the turbo?

If the motor is starting ok and driving ok on the flat, then it can surely only be an air induction problem when you are asking the engine to do more work going up hill ?

cheers

It was a £40 sensor, did not want to spend £100 on Oem for the amount I paid for the van. I plugged the snapon reader back in and cleared code and it has not returned. I will take the egr valve off and give it a clean next sat. What boost pressure should it have? And I will drive it to see what the reader says what boost power it is. Am not sure if actuator rod is moving or not, I will check that too and see if turbo gets air. What speeds do u think van should do up hills?

Hi Johno

Of course the speed of any vehicle going up hill depends on a few factors, the incline, the load inside the vehicle, the wind direction etc etc. However, an unloaded HDi van should manage any normal hill without any trouble at all, of course, it is not going to be a racing car or even equal to an Hi car, but it certainly should not struggle to get up the hill.

Get someone to start the car whilst you watch the turbo solenoid actuator. You should see it move.  Whilst the van is running, pull the small rubber vacuum tube off the turbo actuator, you should feel it sucking your skin in when you put your finger over the end of the tube. If it is blocked then change the tube or it may have a hole in it

When the engine cold, take the air inlet pipe onto the turbo off and put your fingers inside (Not when the engine is running) feel for any movement on the vanes. A little bit of end float (in and out) is fine, but there should be very little, if any, side to side movement.

Does the turbo vane spin freely when you flick it with your finger, It Should Do !

Is there any evidence of black engine oil in the air inlet pipe to the turbo

If all seems well, check the return oil flow from the turbo. On the bottom of the turbo there is a two bolt flange, remove is and place a container underneath the outlet hole in the turbo.

Start the engine for one minute then switch off.

The amount of oil that flows from the turbo drain, if I remember correctly, should be 30cl (I will check on that figure just to be sure)

If there is little or no flow then you have to correct that problem first (which could be something as simple as a blocked filter, renew it)

Without that flow of oil your turbo will not be spinning up correctly and will eventually wreck itself.

However, before we get that drastic, check the airflow through the turbo first.

cheers

A quick check on if the MAF sensor is good enough will be to unplug it and see if the performance improves - it should get worse if the sensor is ok.

When I have looked up boost pressures for others it seems to be in the range 0.6 to 0.9 bar with the higher value for  larger engines.

As Rookie2 has pointed out the speed up hills will depend on various things but I have not seen a van that can not keep up with the traffic unless it is heavily loaded.

Thank you guys, the van goes 40mph ish up hills (any hill really), but struggles soon as hits 3000 revs to pick up speed, I will go through as much of these points on sat rookie2 as I can, really appreciate the help as I am no mechanic. And thank you for the boost pressure moderator and the help. Feel like am getting somewhere with it now and this is the last thing to sort out. Cheers

Johno

Just take it slow and methodical, if you get stuck just come back on here, there's always someone lurking around to help you out. If you do get it sorted then please come back on and tell us how as it helps all of us to understand better in future.

cheers.

Hi Johno

The van should certainly travel better than you describe. I am not sure of the layout on your van but, for example, on my C8 there are two electro valves which are identical to each other, one controls the egr and one controls the turbo. If your layout is the same then it wont hurt to switch those vales around and try running the van like that to try it.

Either way you will have an elctro valve that controls the turbo (I believe), if that electro valve is denying the turbo the vacuum that it needs then that will be causing the lack of power

This is the type of valve you are looking for   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TURBO-SOLENOID-ELECTRO-VALVE-FOR-PEUGEOT-307-407-CITROEN-C4-C5-2-0-HDI-161842-/331093325106

cheers

• 2 weeks later...