Power Steering/heaters/rear Window De Mist

swhite87

Hi there, the power steering along with the heaters and the rear demister Have all packed up, I have checked all of the fuses and relays have been checked, the ignition barrel fix has already been done by the previous owner so I'm really stuck on this one now, the battery charge light is also on so not sure where to go from here really. Any help and advice anyone can give would be very much appreciated. (btw it's a 2001 5 door 1.1 desire if it helps)

Welcome to the forum.

You could check with a meter for a 12 volt supply at the fuses and then at the parts that are not working. Also check the earth wires at the parts are giving a good connection to earth using the resistance setting on the meter. Does the battery charge light go off with the engine running ? You can also check the battery voltage with the engine off and then running to see if it is being charged - should be about 12.5 volts and then 14.4 volts.

Thanks for that, well I have just taken the car for about a 4 mile run, got home and when I tried to start the car the battery is dead so I'm assuming that the alternator is dead,(waiting for a new multimeter to be delivered tomorrow) Any idea if the alternator packing up could be the cause of all the problems??????

• 3 weeks later...