C5 '08 X7 Wiper Motor

c5vtr

Hi all

This is more of an FYI and if mods want to add it to the FAQ known issues thing then by all means.

In the last two weeks the wipers started to operate only intermittently, indeed it got to the point only the drivers side would operate in what could only be described as a stuttering flap.

Ended up at an auto spark who diagnosed that the 'pins' (imagine little strips of aluminium folder over on themselves) that held whatever wiring fed into the motor, had corroded. They simply stripped the wiring, attached new pins and the wipers are as new.

This saved me from either a new ECU for wipers or more likely a new wiper motor at a minimum £110 (ebay) or £250 from Citroen..

I add this little tale so in case anyone gets told to simply buy a new wiper motor, and in this version of the c5 there are two of with separate motors, that maybe getting an auto spark for a closer look...in the end i paid £60...Hoy and Crowe Auto Electrics, Belfast

Thankyou for this. I will link to it in the Common Problems topic. There was a member who had wiper motor problems a while back and was looking at replacing one of the motors so maybe this would have been a fix.

Seems like you fared a lot better than me then! See post on rear wash / wipe problems.

I went down the Citroen main dealer route, and even wrote to Citroen believing they may have known an answer to this problem. Perhaps they need to be educated!

Just read through your post, thats a nightmare alright.

Tbh the autosparks were a complete unknown and only recommended to me by my mechanic who'd done all the work with my Mk1 C5. They could have very easily stopped at the fault code and told me that it was a new motor, so i appreciate that it was diagnosed properly.

I did call Citroen to see if my car was on the list for a recall due to the ECU and/or the motors but unfortunately it wasn't.

I'm sure i'll get the DPF in due course but would hope for a bit better than 110k for the clutch, the previous Mk1 did 174k before it went!

Roll on end of this month and a blast to Brittany to stretch the legs of this car...

• 3 months later...

Wiper motor in my X7 also died. Not having enough time to diagnose the problem I left it with Citroen. They claim it's the O/S motor that died. 

As some probably know, there is a recall covering faulty motors, but only for some cars manufactured in 2009. 

New motor is £250 (part only), which is rather expensive, so I will check it today. 

C5 VTR- could you please advise if you meant ribbon connection within the motor?

Morning

I'll be honest the auto spark didn't show me a 'ribbon', what he did show me was literally  several  rectangular strips of aluminium approx the length of a fingernail, that he said had been folded double encompassing the end of connecting wiring, these 'strips' then fed into the bottom of the motor.

I would imagine this wiring and the method used to connect them are used to transfer power/ecu messages to the motors themselves. He basically said that when they pulled the motors out they noticed the corrosion on these metal strips/connectors....their fix was to strip them back and attach fresh metal connectors.....

Your issues sound like mine, the OS side stopped working first and because they have a separate ECU and designed to work in tandem  the NS wouldn't work as a precaution other wise they'd clatter together.

..with this fix in place i haven't had a problem since....

I don't use dealers tbh, this autospark was recommended to me by my regular  independent Citroen guy i've used for goin on ten years.

Hope u get sorted.

There is a recall of O/S motor which is failing, but Citroen would only agree to replace it on 2009 cars, so anyone with cars not covered by this should report it to DVLA to try influence them to cover other failing units.

Replacement units can only be sourced from Citroen. GSF claim to have them, but there are not available. Second hand units are non existent and even if found are going for £110 for 2008-2009 which will fail anyway.  

I don't know what the problem was in yours, but corrosion of connector is not a common issue, although both units corrode like hell. It is the O/S unit PCB that's failing. 

Same with mine, connectors are okay, but the unit is gone. 

I will try to post some photos later

..i wonder if those small strips of aluminium i saw would be the ones my autospark replaced,  used to make the connection to that 'socket' on the right hand side of that fourth picture...

on the plus side at least we have a good shot of the Valeo part number...

I can only guess that he replaced pins in the connector (black socket on the right hand side).

This is old number and those have changed in production several times, so I would not use it to source replacement. 

I would once again encourage anyone to register this fault. Renault were forced to acknowledge fault in dials installed in Scenics and refunded costs of replacement units,

• 1 month later...

As I found out, it was the N/S motor that failed. Water seeps through the seal and damage the ECU. 

I was lucky enough to source few extra units, which I am happy to sell at low price to members. Each unit was opened to confirm no water ingress and sealed using professional sealant. I can install it free of charge in Basingstoke. 

Please also find photos of the damaged unit. 

post-92943-0-32186600-1444725470_thumb.jpg

post-92943-0-25626900-1444725472_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hi 4rchibald,

I have a 2009 (59) C5 VTR+ and the wipers have failed. The driver's side wiper does a small jerk but the passenger side wiper remains stationary, so I assume the nearside motor has probably failed. I've removed the motor from the car and was going to take a look inside - do you remove the black plastic lid on the top or the aluminium section screwed to the base, and how difficult is it to remove without breaking? Also do you still have any of the wiper motors you mentioned in your post?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

He has not been on the forum for 2 months so you may be better sending a message to 4rchibald by moving the mouse cursor over his name and then clicking on send message. He should then get an email notification of your message.

I'm not visiting forums often enough due to other commitments. 

You can remove both covers. Plastic cover protects mechanism, whereas aluminium holds the printed board as shown on photos. 

I still have 4 units, but all untested. Those will be tested this weekend and put for sale.

• 3 months later...

My X7 has just started to play. The wipers have worked perfect, sensor fine. Splash of rain today and the right hand wiper shot up as normal, the left didn't move at all. When the right hand one reached vertical it then just moved maybe 3 or 4 inches in a sort of flap?  Left the engine running and tried to move the left one incase it was stuck. I could move it but felt resistance, ( from the motor)? I then moved the right back to park and it stayed there??

Hi 4rchibald,

I have a 2009 (59) C5 VTR+ and the wipers have failed. The driver's side wiper does a small jerk but the passenger side wiper remains stationary, so I assume the nearside motor has probably failed. I've removed the motor from the car and was going to take a look inside - do you remove the black plastic lid on the top or the aluminium section screwed to the base, and how difficult is it to remove without breaking? Also do you still have any of the wiper motors you mentioned in your post?

Thanks

Is it easy to remove the motor? My 08 c5 exclusive has just done the same as yours. What have you done to fix the prob. Cheers Mike