Leaky Pluriels And Resolutions

ClareB

ok - reply on a couple of things....when i got my new car in March as replacement I signed something to say that the cashback would not come to me but the dealership....so check the purchase agreement carefully. I just thought fair enough...this is a replacement car after all.

I did get one of those letters about discount but I assume they are just generated automatically on purchase processing. So I ignored it having signed a disclaimer.

2nd...just got my car back after the ultimatum last time fix - they say no leaks and they left a hose running at it for 2-3 hours and left it out in downpour yesterday. (by the way, and they told me this, Citroen DO NOT advise using hosepipes or jet wash against the seals! - but they did to rigorous test) But I can see some water sitting in the seals and I just know that after another shower or in a couple of weeks its going to start coming in again.

At that point I heading for refund or new (different) replacement car to the value of original £12k. (got my eye on MoS C2!! souped up sound system!)

I'll glad Claire you have been offered full refund and i will use your case...

My dealership has been good to me granted....its just the car at fault....in fact the last 3 days while the car has been in (ok so they had a threatening letter last week!) they have called me every day to let me know what they are doing and did not have to fork out for the courtesey car as usual.

Will keep you posted after the next rain shower...

It seems to me it is a question of WHEN not IF it leaks again.

Have Citroen contacted owners of cars that have never leaked to actually see the difference between these and those that leak no matter how many seals you replace?

If every car leaked then you could say it was a design fault. However, we know that some don't, which means they can be made watertight. But does this mean faulty cars can be fixed?

One more thing...gar, check they have not raised the windows too much so that the seals get pulled off when you shut the doors, mine is going back to have the windows adjusted for that next week.

Ian

Orange 03 Senso

Ian...its going back to get windows looked at!! LOL (why am i laughing!!??)

Dont think they are too high though...but i think they have pulled the whole doors in tighter and when raising the passenger side front window its struggling as its too tight to the rear one....(ho hum!)

You mean that lovely sound of creaking glass! Yes I have that, just waiting for the wrong combination of pressure and heat expansion/contraction to crack the glass. But this could be fixed by lowering the closed postion by a mm.

Most car windows have height and lateral adjustment...it is just more relevant in vehicles with no frames to support the glass.

I will try and get some before and after pics.

Ian

Orange 03 Senso

If every car leaked then you could say it was a design fault. However, we know that some don't, which means they can be made watertight. But does this mean faulty cars can be fixed?

I understand that it is possible that some cars come off the production line slightly "skew". By this I mean that some of the panels, windscreen pillars, doors, roof arches, etc are not in the perfect alignment that the design requires. This is very common on most cars, particularly soft tops and early production runs of a new model. A fault of maybe 2-3mm (very possible on some cars) could make a huge difference in the fitting of the roof seals. If this is the problem, it is unlikely that it will ever be solved by technicians refitting new seals or "refitting the arches correctly" which seem to be Citroen's solutions to this.

:( :angry: :blink: :angry:

Well the inevitable has happened today during light but prolonged rain....INGRESS through the new super duper car with its new super duper refitted seals.....

Guess Ian you were right...not IF but WHEN it leaked!

Just made my call to the dealership to inform them and they said lets book it in...I said no. I told the guy to get on to his manager who i wrote to last week to act on my letter which now comes into force. i.e. this time is the last time! I am now going to attempt to get either my full £12k refund or a replacement car to the same value.

Fingers, toes and everything crossed!

Lets see if they are as good now as they were last year....

As usual will keep you posted!

Gar.

:huh:

Sorry to hear that gar, but if you get to see a car that has never leaked, like Mavericks you can see straight away what the difference is.

The leaking has NOTHING to do with the seals (ok the latest seals are do not let in as much water but they still let some in), there are cars with 1st generation seals that do not leak.

The leaking or not is to do with how tight a fit the arch is against the windscreen. If you can see rubber between the arch and screen it is likely the car will let in water at some point. If there is no rubber visible then no water gets in.

If you replace the arches (make them a couple of mm longer) or the mounting point of the front latch on the arch you may cure a leaking car otherwise I have not seen any examples from anyone on this forum where new seals and window adjustments have cured leaks 100%.

Ian

Orange 03 Senso

• 1 month later...

Well it looks like I'm getting closer to a resolution. I had already been offered an exchange to the full value of what I spent on my Pluriel in June 03, but I don't want another Pluriel and so have opted for a 1.6HDi Picasso with sunroof.

After a month of tooing & frooing Citroen have agreed to that, with me being allowed to take 'advantage' of about 2/3 rds of the cashback offer currently available on Picasso's. I still believe I should be entitled to the full cashback offer, but am told legal action will be the only way to pursue Citroen for the full amount, so I've chickened out and decided to accept the offer and pay the difference - (the potential complications over my selling dealer having gone bust and me living in the Channel Islands, were a large factor in this.)

The Picasso I want has an order number, but no production date yet so I'm still waiting, but at least I now feel like I'm getting somewhere after more than a year of hassle.

• 1 month later...

Well, it looks like another pluriel has bitten the dust. After just over a year, and on the *fifth* official request from my dealer, Citroen have agreed to replace my leaky pluriel. I am having to pay a small amount towards the new car (C3 Hdi 16V exclusive) but this is the best deal I could get without going to Court. I think I've done pretty well out of the deal.

I want to say thanks to all the people on this forum. The support of coming here and reading of other people's success has kept me going through thick and thin.

I will post full details in a few days when I definitely have the keys to my new car in my hand! I have 15 pages (small type) of diary of my story and I hope this may encourage others to keep trying for a replacement. Don't ever give up if you have a leaky car - you WILL get a new one eventually.

:) :D :( :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I've had it with the Pluriel....I love it, a cheap convertible thats fun an funky to drive....but I think the word that stands out there is 'cheap'....

Yeah.... but they're *not* really cheap are they?

Every 2CV I ever owned leaked a bit.... somewhere. But the 2CV *was* cheap. The cheapest car on the road at the time bar the crap Fiat 126. If the Pluriel had been a true 2CV replacement priced at around 6K, with a manual version of the silly hood, vinyl seats and rubber mats on the floors, then one would expect and put up with a few leaks; grin and bear it in the rain and smile in the sun. The seats and floor would shrug off the water and no harm would be done...

... But cars aren't cheap these days unless you buy second-hand, and as we all know, a second-hand Citroen is very cheap indeed.

My next car may well be a Pluriel. Now I know what to expect after reading all these messages over the last year or so, I just might nip out and bag myself a real cheapie for around 4k, cover the seats with those cheap vinyl thingummies that you see covering the expensive leather upholstery of most expensive 4x4s these days (w***ers!) and put up with the drips.

I could even hang on to the Lingo for when I wanted a practical car and dry pants.