Brake Drum Removal

ashtonw25

The C3 rear hubs are probably similar to my own Saxo and Pug 306 rear brakes. To remove the large nut you'll need a good 32mm 1/2" drive socket and some serious leverage to undo it. The nut is torqued to 200Nm so it takes some shifting. You may find part of the nut is peened into a groove in the stub axle.

And i need to undo that just to remove the brake drum?

Yes - the large nut needs to be removed. Behind it is a large washer. The brake drum may just pull off the stub axle but often the bearing (which comes away with the drum) is reluctant to move and needs a puller to free it. Also if the brake shoes are very close to the drum they too may need releasing before the drum will come away.

You will need to buy new hub nuts (and probably hub dust covers) and depending on the year and engine size/bhp (drum size varies) of the C3 the nuts are torqued up to different amounts. You can check you have the right size socket when you get the new hub nuts.

For the 2009 on model the 8 inch drum nuts are to 200 Nm and the 9 inch drum nuts are to 300 Nm and only for the 9 inch drum, the procedures say to grease the nut and thread contact faces with Total N3373 or Esso EC4746. The 2002 to 2009 model nuts are to 200 Nm (part no. 693541).

Our 2010 C3 1.4 petrol 95 bhp engine has 9 inch drums, the hub nuts use a 36 mm socket and are torqued to 300 Nm and then peened to the shaft cut out. The nut part no. is 373932. You probably will also need new dust covers since they may be damaged whilst removing. The 9 inch drum nuts have a built in large washer that contacts the bearing. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-PEUGEOT-NEW-STYLE-REAR-HUB-NUTS-PAIR-X2-373932-VARIOUS-MODELS-/330816555913 .The 8 inch drum hub nut is part no. 373933.

When the drum is removed it helps to take a photo before removing any springs, etc.

I love how they've designed it so that you damage parts and have to replace them!

Way, way back, the first two cars that I owned and worked on used washers with a couple of tabs on them. Once the nut was tightened, the tabs were knocked down onto the flats. A washer could be used several times.