First Post - Temperature Gauge Slow

OK - here goes for 2014

A simple question, I think

I bought my first ever diesel last year - a new C5 2.0, and it takes forever to register anything on the coolant  temp gauge. The oil temperature climbs more quickly. This is completely opposite to my old petrol cars, where the temp gauge came up in a couple of minutes,  so I guess it's something to do with the different engine? Air con warms up quickly enough.

Just wondered why this was

Happy new year to all

My experience with diesels is as John. Diesels are more efficient engines than petrol so give out less heat and take a bit longer to warm up. So less goes into the coolant and our oil gauges on a mark 1 and 2 C5 have been slow to move. Maybe the latest C5 gauges are different. A code reader with live data on the temperature sensors is really needed to see what the actual values from the sensors are since the gauge values may be generated without a direct relation to the actual value.

Having said this - there may be value in seeing if the coolant thermostat is opening too early by seeing if the radiator top hose warms up before the gauge reaches about normal. May be also check the oil level is not on the low side.

OK - the car is still very new, and not short of oil or water. The gauge has always been slow, but the aircon warms up quickly. Once warm both temp gauges are stable at 7 bars (graphical display)

Without traffic I can drive 5 miles from cold before the coolant gauge wakes up, by which time the oil gauge is starting to climb

Anyone else with a Mk3 out there? - is your temp gauge extremely slow?

Thanks