C1 Leaking Water

Guest C1millstone

Guest C1millstone

My 56 reg C1 Rhythm diesel leaked water from day one.As a result my car had front door seals changed twice,rear door window rubbers three times.To cure the window problem both window glass was replaced/changed by the dealer!.Now the engine is acting up!

C1millstone

I feel sorry for you, a lot of us have been through the same proccess, with drips and wet carpets, and wet engine compartments. (me included).

Window seals are not usually the problem, its normally the door seals themselves.

The C1 is a great car let down by crappy rubber seals on the doors and engine compartment, it is an inherant fault, but citroen like many other makes, still look at each car as a one off problem with the seals, instead of giving in, and redesigning them with a general recall to solve it, once and for all.

You are only lucky if you get a constant dry car.

PROBLEM

There is only one door seal instead of two, (most newer cars use two), the big problem is that the seal is far too soft, so you can never get enough compression, especially on rain downpours.

THEIR SOLUTION

Pull door in to increase pressure by re-aligning lock catch, also re-align doors, muck about with alighment of seals, and if need be replace seals..... it works for a while, but eventually the drips start again.

MY SOLUTION, (that has worked for me)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/greatchi/car.jpg

Coat the door seals that are on the car body with a smear of silicon grease (not vasaline as that is petroleum based and will rot rubber seals). Only coat the seal above your head as you go in and also part way down each of the sides, this stops the drips when the doors are closed, but must be reapplied every four months.

Do this also with the strip of rubber seal in the engine compartment, to stop drips getting on engine, battery and engine bay electrics.

I know its not a great solution but it works, and we will never get a solution to the seals from citroen, so at least I know my carpets will remain dry, and the engine will not suffer from dampness :(

PS....I use a tube of RS components silicon grease (see website), but you can get any make from plumbers merchant stores.

I think it is just down to luck if you get a dry car, because these seals are so hit and miss.

My car is a 65 plate, so its a year and a half old.

I got the first drips after 2 months old and took it back, they twiddled with the door seals under warrenty, it was ok for another 2 months, then it started dripping again, back carpets soaked.

The second fix lasted 1 month with new replaced seals, but it soon started dripping only when stationary in torrential downpours, which I spotted because I was in the car at the time.

I decided Citroen could not sort the problem as the seals just do not exert enough pressure to maintain a waterproof seal, so I now use the silicon grease to guarentee that no drips get through, no matter the weather, and it works.

The engine bays tend to get soaked as well, as the rubber seal pressure against the bonnet is hopeless, so again I use the silicon grease there.

I just do not trust these seals :angry:

Guest C1millstone
How old is your car Colin as mine is an 07 reg and it has never suffered any leaks...... if I had the problems you guys were having I would have driven it through there showroom window and got my money back!!!!!!!

Guest C1millstone
I feel sorry for you, a lot of us have been through the same proccess, with drips and wet carpets, and wet engine compartments. (me included).

Window seals are not usually the problem, its normally the door seals themselves.

The C1 is a great car let down by crappy rubber seals on the doors and engine compartment, it is an inherant fault, but citroen like many other makes, still look at each car as a one off problem with the seals, instead of giving in, and redesigning them with a general recall to solve it, once and for all.

PROBLEM

There is only one door seal instead of two, (most newer cars use two), the big problem is that the seal is far too soft, so you can never get enough compression, especially on rain downpours.

THEIR SOLUTION

Pull door in to increase pressure by re-aligning lock catch, also re-align doors, muck about with alighment of seals, and if need be replace seals..... it works for a while, but eventually the drips start again.

Coat the door seals that are on the car body with a smear of silicon grease (not vasaline as that is petroleum based and will rot rubber seals). Only coat the seal above your head as you go in and also part way down each of the sides, this stops the drips when the doors are closed, but must be reapplied every four months.

Do this also with the strip of rubber seal in the engine compartment, to stop drips getting on engine, battery and engine bay electrics.

I know its not a great solution but it works, and we will never get a solution to the seals from citroen, so at least I know my carpets will remain dry, and the engine will not suffer from dampness :angry:

PS....I use a tube of RS components silicon grease (see website), but you can get any make from plumbers merchant stores.

Guest C1millstone

PROBLEM

THEIR SOLUTION

I know its not a great solution but it works, and we will never get a solution to the seals from citroen, so at least I know my carpets will remain dry, and the engine will not suffer from dampness :angry:

My 56 reg C1 Rhythm diesel leaked water from day one.As a result my car had both front door seals changed twice,rear door window rubbers three times.To cure the window problem both window glass was replaced/changed by the dealer!.Now the engine is acting up!

C1MILLSTONE

Mine is an 07, maybe they cured the problem after yours. Anyone else with a late 07 that has water leaks?

If you look on the Aygo forum, they seem to be saying the later cars are better, I certainly hope so. My 57 C1 5 door is OK so far, I keep checking the mats and boot. At least this awful weather is a good test :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
My 56 reg C1 Rhythm diesel leaked water from day one.As a result my car had front door seals changed twice,rear door window rubbers three times.To cure the window problem both window glass was replaced/changed by the dealer!.Now the engine is acting up!

C1millstone

My wifes C1 is now 2 years old and has never leaked we also have 3 friends 1 has a c1 the other 2 have 107's and they also have never experienced water leaks it does sound like a door alignment problem on a few cars. I hope you can get it sorted soon

C1millstone

The Factories verdict was they were fitting the seals incorrectly by hammering them into place causing the seal to droop and not fit against the top of the door correctly, there was and never were any modified seals. also they were fitting the tailgate seal incorrectly too by putting the joint in the seal directly by the tailgate lock fixing, so fingers crossed all the newer versions should be ok it certainly didn't put me off buying one mine is a 08 5 door Rhythm and I love it

..there never were any modified seals........
I would agree with you as I had a look at an 08 model in the showroom and the seal are just the same as my year and a half old model.

So, I think I will still be keeping to my silicon grease method as mentioned in a previous message in this thread :D

Anyway BarbsC1, glad to hear you are happy with the car, they are good cars as long as you can keep them dry :huh:

• 2 months later...
I would agree with you as I had a look at an 08 model in the showroom and the seal are just the same as my year and a half old model.

So, I think I will still be keeping to my silicon grease method as mentioned in a previous message in this thread :rolleyes:

Anyway BarbsC1, glad to hear you are happy with the car, they are good cars as long as you can keep them dry :lol:

Our C1 starting leaking through the interior light when i put it through the car wash! I took it in to citroen and they sealed it up. Its probably rusting its way back in as we speak. It seems to be ok in the door areas tho, touch wood.

The C1 is a great car let down by crappy rubber seals on the doors and engine compartment, it is an inherant fault, but citroen like many other makes,

I'd question it being an inherent fault. I'm a moderator on 107oc and the Group leader of the 107 register at PSOOC, both vastly busier forums than here, and this has never been raised before.

I don't doubt that you've suffered, but it's by no means an inherent fault.

Our C1 starting leaking through the interior light when i put it through the car wash! I took it in to citroen and they sealed it up. Its probably rusting its way back in as we speak. It seems to be ok in the door areas tho, touch wood.
They're d1ckheads if they've used sealant! Pop off the interior light and you'll see the 10mm bolt head that holds the aerial in place - all that is required is that this is nipped up.

The car has a zinc phosphorescent coating so unless the hamfisted techies have damaged it you've got no worries with rust.

Just avoid car washes - they're terribly destructive to paint and rubbers and not really any quicker than using a bucket and sponge, especially when you cator in the time it takes to drive there.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

my wife's C1 Vibe only leaked on the passenger side if the car was parked with the drivers side against the kerb and the road had a camber!

Used to find the passenger footwell full of water.

Anyway after the dealer supposedly replaced the door seal twice, the last time he has tightened up the door.

We will see

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

my wife's C1 Vibe only leaked on the passenger side if the car was parked with the drivers side against the kerb and the road had a camber!

Used to find the passenger footwell full of water.

Anyway after the dealer supposedly replaced the door seal twice, the last time he has tightened up the door.

We will see

Bill

Mine's an 08 and is flooded as we speak. Citroen say it was because it was parked on a 'slope' for two weeks when i went on holidays. It's a known fault! My car stinks and is now growing mushrooms, the parts won't come in for weeks and they can't fit my car in to be fixed for 6 weeks.

Deb :(

Mine's an 08 and is flooded as we speak. Citroen say it was because it was parked on a 'slope' for two weeks when i went on holidays. It's a known fault! My car stinks and is now growing mushrooms, the parts won't come in for weeks and they can't fit my car in to be fixed for 6 weeks.

Deb :(

Debs as long as you parked your CityBug above the local water table it should not have leaked.... even if you were on holiday for a month, get back to that dealer and demand the problem is resolved....your door seals should not leak....door seals being the operative word.

"It's a known fault", yet is totally unheard of on 107s?
Well I have a 4 door Aygo sitting on my driveway at present (its a relatives) and the rear door seals are dripping as we speak.

I am going to sort them tomorrow as I did with my C1, by smearing the seals with silicon grease, as well as the one in the engine bay, to stop rain water getting on the engine block and electrics. I only have to do this every 4 months.

The door seals, engine bonnet seals leaking are a well known fault on C1 and Aygo (I do not know about 107's), but they are all off the same assembly plant, so i assume there must be some 107's leaking as well.

Anyway, according to my local citroen dealer in the knowledge, the fault seems to have stemmed from the way the seals are installed at the factory, by thumping them on with a mallet (I kid you not).

This it seems, reduces the pressurisation of the seal against the metal when closed, hence drips especially when in a downpour.

I have been told that all car seals from 08 onwards are now hand installed only, so the seal seems about 2 to 3mm thicker (I have witnessed that on 08 cars in the showroom) but do they work better, who knows ?

Anyway my silicon grease method works as a solution, and thats now two years on, so I will live with it.

Silicon grease details...

RS components tube of grease part ... 494-124

or buy from any plumbers merchants.

(Never use vasaline as that rots rubber)